Monday, May 10, 2010

Goodbye, Columbus

Back in 2003, David and I were lucky to meet at Hillel at The Ohio State University.
Beshert at first sight?  Probably not...but pretty close.
As I was falling in love with David, I was also falling in love with the idea of being a Hillel rabbi.
Five years later and nearing the end of my time in rabbinical school, our little family (now including baby Asher) was waiting to find out where my job search would land us.
I got a call from OSU Hillel.
They were looking for a new rabbi.  
Would I like to fly out for an interview?
Would I!?!?!?
Being a true Buckeye and huge fan of OSU Hillel, I was overjoyed.  
(How many people land their dream jobs right out of school?) 
David found a position in Columbus, we moved back home.  (Home!)
We love Ohio - truly.  Family is close by.  The weather is pretty nice.  Everyone is polite.  
(Plus, walking on the Ohio State campus TOTALLY blisses me out.)
We bought a little house and welcomed two more sweet little ones.

Sometimes stories really end in a happily-ever-after, 
but sometimes life throws you a curveball.

A few months ago, we unexpectedly learned that David would need to find a new work position.
After a long and exhaustive search, we're sad to say that there is no other such position for him here in Columbus.
 In just a few days, our little family will be making a big move to Kansas City.

I asked Asher if he was happy or sad to be moving to Kansas City.  
He told me he was sad.  I asked him what he would miss.  
He thought for a moment, then replied, "I'll miss Brutus."

Tears welled in my eyes.  I thought about what Asher is too young to realize - we can take his stuffed Brutus with him.  The Buckeye mascot is portable.  
What we can't take with us is what pains me so much - 
We can't take the amazing students we've met and dear friendships we've formed
We can't take every Shabbat and holiday we've grown to love celebrating with Hillel,
We can't take my dream job. (insert weeping here)
We can't take weekly fry-dates with Saba and lazy Sundays with Nana, Savta and Auntie Al.

We take some small comfort in the fact that Kansas City has a great zoo, and a  sweet children' s farm.
There is a large and vibrant Jewish community, and a synagogue where the kids can go to Preschool and an old friend will be our rabbi
Heck, they even have some Buckeyes. (Where aren't there Buckeyes?)  

And at the end of the day, we're grateful to have what we really need - 
a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, understanding friends, supportive family, 
and, of course, one another.

So, we sadly say goodbye to Columbus. We'll miss you SO much.
Thank you for an awesome two years.
We've shed quite a few tears.  For quite a few days.  
Like good Buckeyes, we'll always hold a dear, far superior place in our hearts for the 614.  
We hope to be back someday, that the words of the Alma Mater will be true for our family: 
"Time and change will surely show how firm thy friendship O-H-I-O."
IMG_4470

3 comments:

  1. I must admit, the beautiful thing about an online friendship is that you will still be *here*....

    May this move bring happiness and blessing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. they say Meshaneh Makom Meshaneh Mazal - you change your location you change your luck. May this move be the start of something even better for your awesome family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to welcoming you guys! And honored to be mentioned in your beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete